San Francisco is a locus of Autonomous Vehicle (AV) deployment, including being the epicenter of privately operated commercial AV passenger services and the site of our local publicly-led Treasure Island Loop AV Shuttle Pilot. San Francisco continues to support the potential benefits of automated driving, provided deployment occurs in an incremental manner that:
- protects public safety;
- is accompanied by timely and thorough reporting;
- and can demonstrate progress toward reaching California’s and San Francisco’s safety, transportation, climate and equity goals.
While San Francisco does not have permitting authority over AV Passenger Services, San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors and Mayor have passed a unanimous policy resolution on AVs, and San Francisco transportation agencies (SFMTA and SFCTA) have been active partners to federal and state AV regulatory agencies, providing frequent input to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, California Department of Motor Vehicles and California Public Utilities Commission on AV operations, data/reporting, regulatory and policy matters (see Resources tab).
Given San Francisco’s dense and complex setting, San Francisco supports developing an incremental, performance-based approach to regulating and deploying AV passenger services, working in collaboration with AV companies, regulators, and community stakeholders.
San Francisco stands ready to partner in the development of a more mature regulatory framework, based on our unique experience and expertise in local AV operations.
Recent Transportation Authority Informational Hearing
For more information, watch our recent joint staff presentation (PDF) on San Francisco's AV Experience at the October 24 meeting of the Transportation Authority Board including a presentation by Professor Philip Koopman, of Carnegie Mellon University, October 24, 2023 (PDF). Watch a video of the full hearing here.
SF Board of Supervisors
SF Input to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Joint SFMTA/SFCTA Letter to NHTSA, September 2022 (PDF)
- Joint SFMTA/SFCTA Letter to NHTSA, August 2023 (PDF)
SF Input to California DMV
- Transportation Authority testimony at CA DMV Hearing on AV regulations, January, 2023 (PDF)
- Transportation Authority testimony at CA DMV AV Regulation Workshop, July, 2023 (PDF)
SF Input to California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)
- CPUC Data Rulemaking Workshop Presentation (in partnership with SFMTA), June 2023 (PDF)
- Joint SFCTA/SFMTA comments on development of new data reporting requirements for autonomous vehicle driverless deployment program, dated June 15, 2023 (PDF)
- CPUC San Francisco AV Operations Presentation (in partnership with SFMTA and SFFD), August 2023 (PDF)
- SF Motion to Stay CPUC Authorization to Expand Cruise/Waymo SF Driverless Deployments, August 16, 2023
- SF Motion for Cruise/Waymo Permit Rehearing, September 2023 (PDF)
Transportation Authority Board
- Joint staff presentation (PDF) from the Transportation Authority, SFMTA, and San Francisco Fire Department at a Transportation Authority Board informational hearing (video of the full hearing), October 24, 2023
- Presentation by Professor Philip Koopman, of Carnegie Mellon University, October 24, 2023 (PDF)
- Joint Opening Comments from the Transportation Authority and SFMTA to the Board of Supervisors on the Proposed Decision Requesting that Transportation Network Companies Submit Annual Reports, November 29, 2023 (PDF)