Fulton Street serves as a primary traffic and transit route in the Richmond District, bordering the northern side of Golden Gate Park and serving the 5 Fulton and 5R Fulton Rapid Muni lines. Many residents and visitors use Fulton Street to access Golden Gate Park by walking, biking, driving, or transit. Several blocks of Fulton Street are located on the Vision Zero High Injury Network, the 13% of city streets that account for 75% of severe injuries and deaths.
The SFMTA recently completed safety improvements along three miles of Fulton Street between Stanyan and La Playa Streets, as part of the Fulton Street Safety Project. Many use Fulton Street to access Golden Gate Park by walking, biking, driving, or transit. The project aims to improve safety and accessibility for all road users between Golden Gate Park and Fulton Street and help reduce travel time for the 5 Fulton and 5R Fulton Rapid.
Key improvements include:
- Adding and extending daylighting at crosswalks at 34 intersections to increase visibility for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles
- Implementing 13 painted safety zones to enhance pedestrian visibility and reduce turn conflicts
- Adding signalized bike connections to Golden Gate Park at 10th and 22nd Avenues to improve bike access
- Paving a path in Golden Gate Park at 22nd Avenue to improve pedestrian and bike access
- Installing a westbound speed radar sign approaching 41st Avenue to encourage drivers to observe safe driving speeds
In fall 2021, Assemblymember Phil Ting obtained $1.6 million from the California budget to add further improvements to the project. The Transportation Authority also supported the planning and construction of the project with over $400,000 in funding from the Neighborhood Program, at the request of former District 1 Transportation Authority Board Member Sandra Lee Fewer and overseen by current District 1 Transportation Authority Board Member Connie Chan.
Additional safety and transit improvements that were developed based on community feedback and that will continue to be implemented along Fulton include establishing a bike route on 10th Avenue between Fulton and Cabrillo streets, adding speed radar signs, and building transit bulbs at 10th, 8th, and 6th Avenues and Arguello Boulevard.