The Jane Warner Plaza Renovation Project will focus on improvements to pedestrian and bicycle safety in this busy multi-modal node. SFPW and SFMTA staff will coordinate with community stakeholders and other agencies, and analyze, propose, and develop schematics. This effort seeks to make permanent some temporary features that serve pedestrian safety, to enhance safety of the intersection at Castro and Market Streets, while considering adjustments to adjacent SFMTA infrastructure that will allow the plaza and space to better serve the community for transit and pedestrian uses.
The major elements and deliverables of the project are:
- Site walk(s) with community stakeholders and partnering agencies to determine desires and needs for the plaza
- Community meetings to receive input on draft plans
- An illustrative site plan that depicts conceptual design ideas for the plaza and intersection
- A final report, including a detailed infrastructure plan for Jane Warner Plaza, to be presented to the Citizens’ Advisory Committee and the Transportation Authority Board
The Transportation Authority’s Neighborhood Program (NTIP) is intended to strengthen project pipelines and advance the delivery of community supported neighborhood-scale projects, especially in Communities of Concern and other neighborhoods with high unmet needs.
This project is led by San Francisco Public Works in coordination with the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
- Improve pedestrian and bicycle safety
- Address plaza and intersection issues and challenges
- Produce detailed plans and drawings for Jane Warner Plaza infrastructure improvements
Timeline and Status
Site walk with community stakeholders to determine needs/desires
Winter – Spring 2023
Concept Development and Community Outreach
Late Spring / Early Summer 2023
Cost and Funding
This project was funded by the Transportation Authority’s Neighborhood Program at the request of Transportation Authority Board Chair Rafael Mandelman (District 8).
Mike Pickford, Principal Transportation Planner, email@example.com