The FY2018/19 Call for Projects is Closed
- Program Guidance
- How Much Money is Available?
- What Kind of Projects Can Be Funded?
- Who Can Apply?
- How Will TFCA Projects Be Selected?
- Application Materials
- For More Information/Contacts
The Transportation Fund for Clean Air Program (TFCA) was established to fund the transportation projects that most effectively achieve emission reductions from motor vehicles. Funds are generated from a $4 surcharge on the vehicle registration fee. Forty percent of the funds are set aside for Program Managers for each of the nine counties in the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (Air District). The San Francisco County Transportation Authority (Transportation Authority) is the designated Program Manager for the City and County of San Francisco. The remaining sixty percent of the revenues, referred to as the Regional Fund, is distributed on a competitive basis to applicants from the nine Bay Area counties. The Regional Fund is administered by the Air District through a separate application process. This solicitation is for projects under the Fiscal Year 2018/19 TFCA County Program Manager Fund for San Francisco.
- Fiscal Year 2018/19 Call For Projects - Memorandum from the Transportation Authority
- Fiscal Year 2018/19 Local Expenditure Criteria
- Air District's TFCA County Program Manager Fund Expenditure Plan Guidance for FYE 2019
$764,243 is anticipated to be available for San Francisco's Program Manager Fund for the Fiscal Year 2018/19 cycle. There is no local match requirement.
Consistent with the legislation governing the TFCA program and the Air District's adopted policies for the Fiscal Year 2018/19 TFCA County Program Manager Fund, we will accept applications for the types of projects listed below:
- Bicycle Projects
- Smart Growth/Traffic Calming
- Ridesharing Programs
- Bike Share
- Shuttle/Feeder Bus Service
- Arterial Management
- Alternative Fuel Light-Duty Vehicles
- Alternative Fuel Heavy-Duty Vehicles
- Alternative Fuel Buses
- Alternative Fuel Infrastructure
Public agencies are eligible to apply for all project categories. Non-public entities may only be awarded TFCA grants for certain clean air vehicle projects (new alternative fuel vehicle and infrastructure projects and some advanced technology demonstrations) that reduce mobile source emissions.
Projects are selected based on the Transportation Authority's local prioritization criteria for the expenditure of TFCA funds, which were adopted by the Transportation Authority Board on February 27, 2018. The intent of the criteria is to maximize the air quality benefits to San Francisco while allowing room to test a variety of new and innovative strategies for achieving motor vehicle emission reductions. As in prior years, the Transportation Authority's local expenditure criteria include:
- Project type
- Cost effectiveness
- Emissions reduced
- Program diversity
- Project readiness (projects must be delivered within two years of receipt of funds)
- Sponsor's track record of delivering prior TFCA projects
All applicant projects must meet the Air District's eligibility requirements or have an exception pre-approved by Transportation Authority and Air District staff before funds are programmed to the project.
Each project application must include a completed Project Information Form and the Cost Effectiveness Worksheet appropriate for the subject project.
Please note that applications submitted in response to the San Francisco call for projects must include more detail than the Air District requires in the Project Schedule section, and a Project Budget section has been added. These modifications are included in the Project Information Form but not referenced in the Air District's Program Guidance document.
- Instructions for Cost Effectiveness Worksheets FYE 2019 - PLEASE DO NOT USE FORM FROM PREVIOUS YEARS (PDF)
- Light-Duty/Light Heavy-Duty Alternative Fuels Vehicles and Infrastructure FYE 2019 (Excel)
- Ridesharing, Shuttles, Bicycle, Smart Growth, Traffic Calming, and Transit Priority Projects FYE 2019 (Excel)
- Arterial Management/Signal Timing FYE 2019 (Excel)
- Heavy-Duty Vehicle Projects, Reducing Emissions from Existing Diesel Projects FYE 2019 (Excel)
- Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Projects FYE 2019 (Excel)
Please submit applications to TFCA@sfcta.org.