Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and résumé. This recruitment will remain open until filled. First consideration will be given to individuals who respond by June 16, 2023.
San Francisco is the focus of deployment for many new mobility technologies and services, and the San Francisco County Transportation Authority is deeply engaged in shaping their evolution through policy, investment and research efforts. We also are designated under state law as the Congestion Management Agency for the City and are mandated to develop a Congestion Management Program, which provides evidence of the integration of land use, transportation programming, and air quality goals; preparing a long-range countywide transportation plan to guide the City’s future transportation investment decisions; monitoring and measuring traffic congestion levels in the City; measuring the performance of all modes of transportation; and developing a computerized travel demand forecasting model and supporting databases.
We’re looking for applicants with five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in transportation project and program management. An equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
Reports to: Deputy Director of Technology, Data & Analysis
Exemption Status: Full-time Exempt
You'll lead and/or coordinate project development and delivery efforts for projects and programs affecting San Francisco and interact with a variety of public agency staff, stakeholders, and community members.
Examples of projects or policies you may work on:
- Autonomous Vehicle/Transportation Network Company and Technology Sector Policies — We are one of multiple agencies informing and shaping AV and TNC regulatory policy at the federal, state, and local level. Duties include:
- Coordinate with partner/public agencies, private companies and industry associations, as well as community/civic organizations and stakeholders to help advise the Transportation Authority management and Board on technology policy issues.
- Lead development of Transportation Authority input to regulatory proceedings, including preparing regulatory filings to the CPUC, DMV, CARB, and other state agencies, as well as track, develop and advocate for legislative and regulatory actions at Federal Level.
- Support pilots, research and data-driven assessments of effects and alignment of private transportation services with San Francisco guiding principles, policies and goals, as well as implementation of the San Francisco Transportation Plan and Transportation Authority’s Congestion Management Program.
- Climate and Resilience Policies — Although every city is exposed to climate hazards to a certain extent, the level of potential damage or loss from this varies among cities. We are one of multiple agencies partnering to meet the City’s emission reduction goals. You may engage with other government agencies, businesses and the community to collaborate on putting ideas into action.
- Technology Program Support - Provide technical or project management support to related studies, plans, pilots or projects across other Transportation Authority divisions and Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency (TIMMA) work programs, as assigned. Includes liaising activities to facilitate relationships and/or partnerships with industry, community stakeholders, advocacy groups and other public agencies.
Full job description (PDF)
Annual Compensation Range: $117,333-$161,920
Salary is effectively higher since the Transportation Authority offers an employer contribution to a retirement plan in lieu of Social Security.
In addition, the Transportation Authority offers a generous cafeteria-style benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to:
Retirement: Up to 10.88% employer contribution
Insurance: Health, dental, life, short- and long-term disability and more. Medical and dependent care pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
Deferred Compensation (Section 457) Up to IRS limit
Vacation: Three (3) weeks of vacation per year during the first 5 years of service.
Holidays: 12 holidays per year, plus 3 personal holidays.
Commuter Benefits: Up to $160 per month in Commuter Checks or a $20 per month bike benefit.
How to Apply
Send cover letter (indicating where you saw this job posted) and resume via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail:
RE: Principal Transportation Planner, Technology Policy – Technology, Data & Analysis Division
Attn: Human Resources
San Francisco County Transportation Authority
1455 Market St., 22nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
The San Francisco County Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe diversity and inclusion strengthen our work, and we strive to ensure our staff represents the communities we serve.
We are committed to fostering an environment of mutual respect. We want to employ and provide career advancement opportunities for people of any:
- race and color
- sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression
- religion and belief
- national, social, and ethnic origin
- parental status, including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, or related medical conditions
- physical, mental, and sensory disabilities
- HIV status
- marital, civil union, and domestic partnership status
- past and present military service
- family medical history and genetic information
- protected status
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com or 415-522-4800.