Deputy Director for Planning
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and résumé. This recruitment will remain opened until filled. However, first consideration will be given to individuals who respond by August 20th, 2021.
The San Francisco County Transportation Authority is the county congestion management agency and transportation sales tax administrator for San Francisco, among other roles. Our mission is to make travel safer, healthier, and easier for all. We plan, fund, and deliver local and regional projects to improve travel choices for residents, commuters, and visitors throughout the city.
The Deputy Director for Planning manages the Planning Division staff and activities, including transportation planning and policy studies. The Deputy Director also assists and participates in planning, organizing, and facilitating the activities of the Transportation Authority, and provides a wide range of professional support and executive level policy counsel to the Executive Director and Chief Deputy Director.
Reports to: Executive Director
Exemption Status: Full-Time Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads, assigns, and oversees planning and policy studies; provides oversight, quality control, technical and procedural guidance to staff, and develops purpose, scope, schedule, and budget for related efforts.
- Oversees development and facilitates implementation of Countywide Transportation Plan (San Francisco Transportation Plan). Provides input into the development of other Transportation Authority and regional plans and programs including Plan Bay Area and state and regional transportation studies.
- Supports work program of other Transportation Authority divisions including major capital project development, fund programming and legislative activities, biennial updates to the Congestion Management Program, and implementation of the agency’s Racial Equity Action Plan.
- Applies for and administers planning grants; selects and manages consultants and contracts; facilitates technical and outreach meetings and maintains contacts with peers from federal, state, and regional agencies, including Transportation Authority sponsor agencies and staffs of elected local, regional, state, and federal officials. Maintains and develops external relationships with civic and community organizations, funders, and professional and industry associations.
- Supervises and provides mentorship and professional guidance to staff.
Supervises Assistant Deputy Director for Planning, Principal Planners and Senior Planners. May supervise transportation planners and external consultants.
Training and Experience
Completion of a graduate degree in an appropriate discipline such as transportation planning, public policy or civil engineering or related field is required. Eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning with at least three (3) years in a management role. Applicants may substitute completion of a graduate degree with two (2) years of additional qualifying experience.
Annual Compensation Range: $154,440 – $213,130
Salary is effectively higher since the Transportation Authority offers an employer contribution to a retirement plan in lieu of Social Security.
In addition, the Transportation Authority offers a generous cafeteria-style benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to:
Retirement: Up to 10.88% employer contribution.
Insurance: Health, dental, life, short- and long-term disability and more. Medical and dependent care pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
Deferred Compensation: (Section 457): Up to IRS limit
Vacation: Three (3) weeks of vacation per year during the first 5 years of service.
Holidays: 11 holidays per year, plus 3 personal holidays.
Commuter Benefits: Up to $160 per month in Commuter Checks or a $20 per month bike benefit.
Send cover letter (indicating where you saw this job posted) and resume via email(email@example.com) or mail:
RE: Deputy Director for Planning
Attn: Human Resources
San Francisco County Transportation Authority
1455 Market Street, Floor 22
San Francisco, CA 94103
We Are An Equal Opportunity Employer
The San Francisco County Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe diversity and inclusion strengthen our work, and we strive to ensure our staff represents the communities we serve.
We are committed to fostering an environment of mutual respect. We want to employ and provide career advancement opportunities for people of any:
- race and color
- sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression
- religion and belief
- national, social, and ethnic origin
- parental status, including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, or related medical conditions
- physical, mental, and sensory disabilities
- HIV status
- marital, civil union, and domestic partnership status
- past and present military service
- family medical history and genetic information
- protected status
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-522-4800.