The I-280 Interchange Modifications at Balboa Park Project is now implementing recommendations from the Balboa Park Station Area Circulation Study.
The study's final report was adopted by the Transportation Authority Board on June 24, 2014. The Report documents the study's findings and recommendations. Download PDFs of the report and its appendices:
Final Report (5.5MB)
Appendix A: Transportation Analysis (2.1MB)
Appendix B: Detailed Alternative Analysis Results (1.8MB)
Appendix C: Engineering Feasibility and Cost Estimates (12.8MB)
Appendix D: Round 1 Outreach Summary Report (1.8MB)
Appendix E: Round 2 Outreach Summary Report (12.5MB)
The Balboa Park BART/Muni Station is one of the busiest intermodal transit facilities in the region. As the major hub for the southern part of San Francisco, the station serves more than 24,000 passengers daily with its four BART lines, multiple major local bus routes, and three light rail transit (LRT) lines. But access to the station, particularly for non-auto modes, is complicated by tightly squeezed station functions and its location adjacent to the I-280 Geneva-Ocean Avenue interchange system, whose multiple on- and off-ramps deliver heavy auto traffic to the station and its surrounding neighborhoods, causing multimodal conflicts with transit and pedestrians.
This Circulation Study focused on potential modifications to the Balboa Park Station and adjacent I-280 interchanges at Geneva Avenue and Ocean Avenue. The main goals of the Study were:
- Reduce multimodal conflicts (vehicles, transit, pedestrians) at the I-280 freeway ramps while not substantially degrading vehicle operations in the area, including the I-280 freeway mainline.
- Provide safe, accessible, and convenient connections for pedestrians, bicycle, and intermodal travelers.
- Develop cost-effective solutions that support the community values and goals, without substantial construction-related impacts, that can be implemented in 2–10 years.
The SFCTA is led this study in collaboration with:
- California Department of Transportation (funder)
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District
Balboa Park Station Area Circulation Study Draft Final Report (PDF)
Balboa Park Station Area Circulation Study Fact Sheet (PDF)
Balboa Park Station Area Circulation Study: Goals, Evaluation Framework, and Existing Transportation Conditions (PDF)
Presentation to the Balboa Park Station Area Citizens Advisory Committee, March 13, 2013 (PDF)
Presentation to the Balboa Park Station Area Citizens Advisory Committee, July 10, 2013 (PDF)
Presentation at the Community Meeting, September 30, 2013 (PDF)
Presentation at the Community Meeting, January 30, 2014 (PDF)